Saturday, May 24, 2014

Welcome to Delhi!

Just as milder temperatures began to dawn upon Cary, North Carolina, my 13 study abroad classmates and I began our journey to India, land of blistering sunlight and excessively high temperatures. The adventures began immediately after we landed at Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi. Jetlagged from over 25 hours of flying, we finally made it to our hotel around 3:00am. At this point, I honestly had no idea if I felt tired. Trust me, it's a feeling only understood when experienced. Nevertheless, I made the wise decision to get as much sleep as I could that night. It paid off, as I felt refreshed, upbeat, and ready to experience the wonderful sites and sounds of New Delhi.
The places I most enjoyed in New Delhi were the Lotus Temple and Birla House. From the outside, the Lotus Temple is an amazing structure. From the inside, it's an incredible place of worship. The tranquility and peace experienced inside felt second to none. There, I felt a divine spiritual connection through my prayers. I felt similar excitement at the Birla House, the site where Mahatma Gandhi spent his final days before he was assassinated. An overwhelmingly solemn yet peaceful feeling resonated within me as I walked alongside the path that Gandhi took to his usual prayer spot on the day he was assassinated. It was truly a surreal moment. The great man who had toiled tirelessly for India's Independence had stood where I was standing just 66 years ago.
Perhaps the most miraculous event that has occurred so far during this trip to India is the rainfall. Having heard stories about how India doesn't experience rainfall outside of the monsoon season, I didn't expect any rain to fall during our trip. I even guaranteed to one of my classmates that it would not rain. On the same day I made this guarantee, however, it poured. Some "expert" I am... From now on, I will expect rain everywhere we travel in India, although it's too bad that I didn't pack a raincoat.

3 comments:

  1. I told you to pack a raincoat the night before you left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM SO JEALOUS :( Sounds like you're having fun, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Hetal. My bad...

    And I hope China was fun, Radhi!

    ReplyDelete