Tuesday, June 17, 2014

See Truth for Yourself


As the days pass by, I find myself becoming more comfortable with my surroundings by averting my eyes less and accepting more. The sky is the limit in India. Anything unusual goes. Having to move out of a cow's way in the street or hearing honking constantly has become the norm. There's no way to really wrap your mind around it. That's just the norm in India like norms anywhere else.

India never ceases to amaze me. There is something magical about the city of Varanasi. We arrived here a couple days ago and I have felt the peaceful emanations ever since. Riding on a boat on the Ganges river felt like a blast from the past. For the first time I saw people performing morning rituals, washing clothes by hand, and bathing for purification purposes. I knew it was prevalent, but to see it in person awakened a lost truth within myself. It was as if my mind was saying, "Yes, this exists! Don't you remember? This is a reality as well!" Around the world we are all living simultaneously but so vastly different. I feel like I'm in a movie half the time I'm in India. It feels like a dream, it doesn't feel real.

I have come to the conclusion that if I want to see truth for myself I have to see it in with my own eyes, or else I'm never going to believe it. I can know it but to experience it is much more rewarding. Cultural submergence is a part of growth and I don't mean vacationing in the finest places. I mean being in a place so far from what you know that you have no choice but to accept it. Going off of a perspective that isn't your own doesn't give you the understanding that you would find yourself. So, I suggest you plan a trip now.

No comments:

Post a Comment